Sunday, June 25, 2023

Ace Rep Book Recs!

Happy Pride Month! And happy Pride Weekend to those who are celebrating specifically this weekend.

I myself am Asexual (aka Ace), though it's not something I talk about much, though I am starting to talk about it more with both friends and family. It just doesn't come up a lot, really. Specifically, I believe I am demisexual, which is to say that I only tend to feel romantic attraction when I know someone well. And even then, I don't tend to have strong need for more than closeness.

I wish I'd known this sooner, as I'm several years past fifty, and am only just fully starting to understand all this in the last ten years. So forty years without a recognition that I was anything other than straight. I'll just say it's caused me some issues, and leave it at that. For those uncertain about the meaning of Asexuality or unfamiliar with the idea of what it might mean, check out the Wikipedia page on Asexuality, or Aven for more detailed information.

For me, it's only in the last twenty or so years I've seen any representation of Asexual protagonists in media of any kind, though there were always two that stood out for me before I understood it was a label I could even apply to myself. As it is, I realized that it's only very recently I've found books that feature main characters on the Asexual spectrum. So I thought I'd put together a list of books for those interested in reading stories featuring characters that represent the Asexual experience. 

For this list, I am sticking to main or central characters. More specifically, characters whose POV we get in these stories. Some of these authors are openly Ace, while others are not, but either way, just having more Ace representation in stories is just wonderful to see. I hope everyone will find something here to read that will give them a better understanding of how it feels to be Asexual. And for those who are Asexual, I hope you find something new here to enjoy!

TJ Klune is an up and coming author who writes in a number of fantastical genres, and has said in interviews that he is gay as well as Ace. Many of his characters fall in the Ace spectrum. And for those who need to know it, every book of his I've read always leaves me with happy feelings, regardless of how dark it gets.

  • The Tales of Verania series, published 2015
    Book 1 - The Lighting-Struck Heart
    Book 2 - The Destiny of Dragons
    Book 3 - The Consumption of Magic
    Book 4 - A Wish Upon the Stars
    Sam of the Wilds, the main character, reads to me as demisexual. He's got a massive crush on a guy, but he's also horrified by any kind of sex talk, even after he gets together with him.
    This one has a lot of gay representation on several different levels.
    I've only read the first two books in this series, but I definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys high fantasy, gay romance, and a humorous tone.
    I will say that this one is very adult, so if sex talk is too much, this might be one to pass up.
  • Heartsong
    Book 3 of the Green Creek series, published 2019
    Kelly Bennett is the Ace character in this, and the mate to the main character. There is implication of sex, though it never goes into too much detail. I will say this is my favorite of Klune's major Ace characters so far, though I have not read them all.
    This one is Werewolves and general supernatural subjects. There is not only gay but bi and lesbian rep as well in this series, including an AroAce (Aeromantic Asexual) character, though he does not get a story of his own in this series, and his sexuality is not mentioned until the last book.
    Warnings for dark subjects and lots of nudity and sexual implication for those who are sensitive to that.
  • In the Lives of Puppets
    Standalone, published 2023
    TJ Klune's most recent book, and the main character in this is stated as Ace, though I don't feel it quite as strongly as I do with Sam and Kelly. 
    This one is Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction, but is pretty PG. The story itself is inspired by both Pinocchio and  Wizard of Oz. If you need something lighter, this is probably the one of the three listed here that I would recommend picking up.
  • One last book I want to list here is How to Be a Normal Person, though I have not read this one yet. I do know that the main character is Ace, and that this is a gay romance duology, so if you like his stuff, there's at least one more main character of his you can check out.

I generally mostly read series, so I've discovered a number of series have Ace rep in their line sooner or later, even when the stories are a string of romances. Here are the ones I've managed to gather for this list.

  • The Perfect Assassin by KA Doore
    The Chronicles of Ghadid book 1, published 2019
    Amastan specifically says that he is Asexual in this one, though I have only read the first book in this series, so I don't know if we follow him through this series, or it moves to another character after this. I will say the story focuses more on the mystery he is trying to solve over his sexual attraction to someone he meets during the course of his investigation, but it is there, both the rep and the romance. The romance aspects are very light in this, though, and I don't think they do more than kiss.
    Lovely high fantasy story, lots of queer representation in this world.
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats & Piracy by Mackenzi Lee
    Book 2 of the Montague Siblings trilogy, published 2018
    Felicity Monatgue is Ace, though it is never explicitly stated in the text, given the time period of the story. She's also in the first book, but this is the story that gives us her POV, and we can see her befuddlment at other people's ideas of relationships and romance.
    Historical, a slight bit of steampunk elements, pretty much no romance for her, and fairly safe for all readers, I think. Gay couple in the background who were the central characters of the previous book.
  • Something Fabulous by Alexis Hall
    Book 1 of the Something Fabulous duology, published 2022
    Though it is not explicitly stated, I do think Valentine is demisexual. He's almost certainly Ace, and has no clue why he should have any interest in other people, let alone for sex, until he is dragged across the English countryside to catch up with his wayward fiancee by her brother.
    Another historical, this one is high humor to the point of slapstick, with a central gay couple, and  a scattering of gay and lesbian characters along for the ride. I have not read the sequel, though I believe that one is about his fiancee and her non-binary lover.
    This one is very sexy, and only for those who are up to adult themes.
  • As You Are by Sophie O'Dare
    Tails x Horns book 3, published 2021
    This is the book that made me realize we are finally getting real Ace rep in romance. Juro is so Ace, and completely believes he's broken and doesn't deserve better than the broken life he has. Until he meets Shig. 
    This one is a soft fantasy world where people go through three stages of life before being adults: as children, they are sexless until the age of 8, after which they become a boy or a girl. then in their mid to late teens, they grow either horns, which make them more agressive, or a tail, which makes them passive. 
    Lots of gay rep in this series. It's a fabulous world, but I will say that it is also highly sexual, so if those kinds of details bother you, this probably won't be for you. 
  • Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
    Book one of the Wayward Children series, published 2016
    This is a Portal Fantasy series, and each book of this series covers a different main character, with this first being the Asexual rep of the series, though there is a lot of LGBTQIA rep throughout the books. The world is our earth, but each character has found themselves in another world, and then returned home feeling like they no longer belong on earth any more, so they come to stay at a school for children who have gone through one of these strange doors. Think of the Pevensie children, or Alice, Dorothy, or Wendy. Those are the kinds of characters you find in this series. All the stories are short, and McGuire keeps the romance to a PG13 level.
  • Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray
    Book 3 of the Diviners series, published 2017
    Ling Chan is the Ace character in this series. She doesn't show until the second book, and doesn't reveal she's Asexual until the third, but the fact that she's there is glorious, especially with the amount of LGBTQ+ rep this story has with the central characters.
    I will say that the supernatural themes of the story are very dark, so this one may not be for everyone, but the historical rep is fabulous, and if you're okay with darkness, it's definitely worth checking out.
  • And last but definitely not least:
    The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
    Book 1 - The Hunger Games, published 2008
    Book 2 - Catching Fire, published 2009
    Book 3 - Mockingjay, published 2010
    The biggest tragedy of the movie representation of these is that we do not get to see from Katniss's POV, and so we miss the Ace rep in the movies, and it became all about the "love triangle" that the Capitol Media kept pushing. But Katniss just saw her best friend and a boy she knew from home. Not love interests. Neither of them. The reason she's so confused the entire time is because everyone keeps pushing this romance agenda on her. She's just there to save her sister and try to survive. She never signed up to be in a romance. As the actress who played her sister said, she wasn't in love with either of them. It was all about her love for her sister.
    Dystopian YA. Definitely not for everyone, but if you can stomach the darkness, it's an amazing series.

I was going to make a whole section on singles, but once I did a separate list about TJ Klune, at this moment, I only have one. 

  • Loveless by Alice Oseman.
    Standalone, published 2020
    Georgia discovers as she heads off to college, that though she loves the idea of romance, she's not interested in more than reading about it. She realizes through the LGBTQIA group on campus that she is AroAce, and starts to realize what that means. 
    Between her best friend, her roommate, and the LGBTQIA group, there's lots of LGTBTQ rep here, and this one's pretty PG, so it's safe for most any Ace reader.
  • I will say that I also want to read Radio Silence by her, as the MC in that is also Ace, so there's another for my reading list.

But...the very first Ace rep I really remember reading was in online comics. I'll put these in order of when I found them. They definitely lean into sexy, but I highly recommend them all. Unlike the other links in this post, which link to the Goodreads page for the book, these links will take you to the comics themselves.

  • Shades of A by Tab Kimpton
    Published 2014
    Anwar gets dragged to a kink night by a friend and makes friends with a Queer who is definitely not binary, and very kinky. A surprising romance ensues.
    Chris is a mix of a lot of things, though some of the phrasing would definitely not be considered acceptable any longer. Very high levels of spice in this one, so be aware of both going into this.
  • Girls with Slingshots by Danielle Corsetto
    Published 2008
    While the main character in this is definitely straight, one of her best friends is a very queer woman with a very Ace girlfriend. Absolutely gorgeous comic, and just lots of fun.
    Lots of sex talk in this one, so definitely on the high end of the spicy spectrum.
  • Avialae by Lucid
    Published around 2014? (can't find confirmation of date, as Goodreads doesn't think this a valid book, so they keep deleting it)
    About Gannet, a teenage boy who wakes up one morning to discover he has wings growing on his back, and Gilbert, the boy who helps him hide it from everyone. Gilbert is definitely Demisexual, as it takes him a long time to cue in to romantic cues from Gannet, despite how often he comes on to him.
    There is lots of Queer rep in this with both M/M and F/F pairings, as well as a secondary character who also says she is Asexual. Again, a very high level of spice in this one.
It makes me very happy to see so much rep across the spectrum of Asexuality from AroAce to Demi, but it also makes me sad how new these stories all are. Before this, the only two characters in any media I could easily have pointed to as Asexual would have been Sherlock Holmes and the Doctor from Doctor Who (and who has since been stolen from us because of course no one could possibly be Asexual forever I guess?). I know I'd seen others, but they were few and far between, so it's nice to see that so many are being written about.

A quick list of ten Ace books I'm hoping to read soon:
  1. How to Be a Normal Person by TJ Klune
    Contemporary. Gustavo meets a new friend, Casey, who wants nothing more than to spend all his time with Gus.
  2. Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
    Contemporary. About a girl named Frances who is hiding from herself, until the day she meets Aled, and realizes she wants things to change.
  3. Beyond the Black Door by AM Stickland
    Fantasy. Kamai can soul-walk, but her mother told her never to go through the Black Door.
  4. Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger
    Fantasy/Supernatural. Elatsoe can see ghosts, and her cousin who was recently murdered tells her their family is in danger.
  5. Tarnished Are the Stars by Rosiee Thor
    Sci Fi. Described as The Lunar Chronicles meets Rook.
  6. Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe
    Graphic Novel/Non-fiction/Autobiography. A story about Maia's life and coming to terms with who they were.
  7. How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual by Rebecca Burgess
    Graphic Novel/Non-fiction/Autobiography. Another Ace life story.
  8. Dark Rise by CS Pacat
    Fantasy. Will is hiding from those who want him dead, and discovers the world of magic, and everything it could mean for his world
  9. The Stars We Steal by Alexa Donne
    Sci Fi/YA. Space princess Leonie is doing everything she can to save her ship when her best childhood friend and first love Elliot appears, now a successful business man who wants to make her pay for turning him down before.
  10. Our Bloody Pearl by DN Bryn
    Fantasy. Perle is a siren who has been captured, and longs for escape when the ship they are on is captured by pirates.
So there are my lists. Are you Ace? Have you read any of these books? Or any others not on these lists? What are your favorite Ace-rep books?

No comments:

Post a Comment