Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 Reading Wrapup

I realize I have not written here in a while. Reading was rather low for much of the second half of the year, so I didn't see the point of writing here. But I wanted to go over what I managed to do in a limited way, and share a few lists of the overall books of the year.

For the months of July through December, I only averaged a total of 15.67 books a month, with November being the lowest at six, and December being the highest month of the year, with a total of 30 books, because I wanted to make sure I hit my 200 books for 2022. I've just managed, with a total of 201 books, so I am quite happy with that.

September I took the time to listen to the Jim Dale version of the Harry Potter books, which I have not listened to in ages, so that was lovely. On a side note, did anyone else out there know that Jim Dale played the villain in the original Pete's Dragon? I had no clue until I found a Brit listening to the books for the first time who talked about it. Definitely a very fun connection. In October, I pulled out a bunch of supernatural books, including a few favorite Stephen King books, which was also lots of fun. And I finally managed to listen to On Writing by King in November, which has been on my list for ages. So glad I did, because it turned into my favorite book of the year.

My top books of the year:
  1. Crowbones by Anne Bishop
  2. On Writing by Stephen King
  3. Aurora's End by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
  4. Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Saenz
  5. Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn
  6. Wolfsong by TJ Klune
  7. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
  8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
  9. Ripper by Isabel Allende
  10. The City Beautiful by Aden Polydoros
  11. In All but Blood by Wendy & Richard Pini
  12. Pet by Akwaeke Emezi
The last four are tied for ninth place, so I went over ten, but all are very recommended.

My top three Genres of the year were Fantasy, Romance, and Urban Fantasy. I debated merging Fantasy and Urban Fantasy(think high fantasy/not Earth fantasy vs modern day or recent past fantasy styles of stories), but in my mind, they're different enough, and I have enough books in each, that they're well worth tracking separately, so I will treat them as such. On the following lists, the blue books are rereads. Also, these are all based on the prominent tags on Goodreads, so I didn't mark them as fantasy or romance unless they were in the list that shows on the main page. Urban fantasy I chose for myself, but it always had to at least say fantasy on the main page.

Top 10 Fantasy books 2022:
    1. In All But Blood by Wendy & Richard Pini
    2. A Destiny of Dragons by TJ Klune
    3. Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian
    4. Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko
    5. These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
    6. Midwinter Witch by Molly Ostertag
    7. Kings of the Broken Wheel by Wendy & Richard Pini
    8. The Hidden Years by Wendy & Richard Pini
    9. Rogue's Curse by Wendy & Richard Pini
    10. Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
    Top 10 Romance books 2022:
    1. Aurora's End by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
    2. Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Saenz
    3. Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn
    4. Wolfsong by TJ Klune
    5. In All But Blood by Wendy & Richard Pini
    6. Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender
    7. A Destiny of Dragons by TJ Klune
    8. Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
    9. Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko
    10. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
    Top 10 Urban Fantasy books 2022:
    1. Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn
    2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
    3. The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan
    4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
    5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
    6. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
    7. Demon on the Down-Low by EJ Russell
    8. The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
    9. The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan
    10. Stormbringer by Alis Franklin
    I read 28 books that were released in 2021 and 2022 this year. Out of that 28, several were ones I've been eagerly awaiting, but others were lovely surprises.

    My top 10 new books:
    1. Crowbones by Anne Bishop, published 2022
    2. Aurora's End by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff, published 2021
    3. Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Saenz, published 2021
    4. Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn, published 2022
    5. The City Beautiful by Aden Polydoros, published 2021
    6. Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell, published 2021
    7. Light from Uncommon Stars by Royka Aoki, published 2021
    8. Ocean's Echo by Everina Maxwell, published 2022
    9. Bad With Love by Sophie O'Dare, published 2021
    10. A Lady for a Duke by Alexis Hall, published 22
    For 2023, I've decided to create myself Bingo Cards for each month to work from, based on books that have been on my to-read list for far too long. I've already set up the first. If I manage a bingo, I'll give myself a present. I haven't decided on that yet. I've also made a list of series that I am going to try to focus on for this year.

    Series I plan to focus on:
    1. Discworld by Terry Pratchett
    2. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
    3. Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara
    4. The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
    5. Asterix by Rene Goscinny & Albert Underzo
    6. Knights of Camelot by Sarah Luddington
    7. Green Creek by TJ Klune
    8. Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
    9. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
    10. Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde
    11. Nightrunner by Lynn Flewelling
    12. Marked by His Alpha by Sophie O'Dare
    13. Wych Kings by Jaye McKenna
    14. Tales from Verania by TJ Klune
    15. The Giver by Lois Lowry
    16. Saga by Brian K Vaughan
    17. Finishing School by Gail Carriger
    18. The Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross
    19. Iskari by Kristen Ciccarelli
    20. Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
    21. Precious Stone Trilogy by Kerstin Gier
    22. Tails X Horns by Lyn Forester
    23. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
    24. Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko
    25. Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell
    So did you read any special books this year? Do you have reading plans for 2023? Have you read any of the books that I've listed on any of my lists above? I'd love to hear what you think of them.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment