Monday, January 1, 2024

2023 Reading Stats & 2024 Reading Goals

2023 was another great reading year. So many fun books, even a handful of rereads. Overall, I finished a total of 224 books, with a combined total of 73,517 pages. My highest month read was August, with 27 books read. 

I also kept track of the number of pages of each book read. I don't feel that Storygraph's stats go quite deep enough, so I wanted to see what my range is in ranges of 100 pages. Seems I read generally between 200-499 pages, with 300-399 being the highest amount, though just barely. I read 60 books that were between 200-299 pages, 63 between 300-399 pages, and 45 between 400-499 pages. 

My genres this year, as always, the top two are Romance and Fantasy, but the other eight genres of the top ten I read this year in order, were Historical, Supernatural (gotta love those vamps), Contemporary (I've found it fascinating how much this shows up, as I never used to pay attention to how many Contemporary stories I've read), Mystery, Urban Fantasy (which when combined with the other Fantasy above makes that my #1 genre), Sci Fi, Humor, and Retellings. I might need to rework how I track genres a little more, but I think I'm pretty happy with it turned out this year.

The last two years, I've also been keeping track of the newer books I've been reading. This year, I finished a total of 49 books published between January 2022 and December 2023. Not bad at all. If I did my calculations right, that would be about 22% of the books I read this year. Very respectable. I've also been making lists for myself to read from each month, and this year, those books amounted to 132 books of my reads, which accounts for 59% of my reads this year. Between the two, that's covered a lot of what I've read this year, so I guess I've done pretty well.

I did my Book Brackets for the second year in a row, and had great fun with it. I did one favorite book for each month, and compared with the first six months with the last to continue the brackets.

  • January was Darius by JR Ward, July was Radio Silence by Alice Oseman, and Radio Silence won that round.
  • February was Dark Mater by Blake Crouch, and August was A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske. This was a very close race, but Dark Matter won that round.
  • March was Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune, and September was Slippery Creatures by CJ Charles, and Under the Whispering Door won that round.
  • April was Ravensong by TJ Klune, and October was Lore Olympus Volume 4 by Rachel Smythe, and Ravensong won that round
  • May was Brothersong by TJ Klune (can you tell who I was reading en masse this year?) and November was A Strange and Stubborn Endurance by Foz Meadows, and as wonderful as Strange and Stubborn Endurance was, Brothersong was amazing, so it won that round.
  • June was How to Belong with a Billionaire by Alexis Hall, and December was Subtle Blood by CJ Charles, and that round was won by Subtle Blood.
  • Radio Silence went against Dark Matter, and Dark Matter won once more.
  • Under the Whispering Door went against Ravensong, and Under the Whispering Door won.
  • Brothersong went against Subtle Blood, and Brothersong won.
  • And of the three semi-finalists, Brothersong was the ultimate winner.
And honestly, I can't wait to read more TJ Klune in 2024!

I've already got a list of the upcoming releases for 2024 that I would like to try:

  • Mislaid in Parts Half-Known by Seanan McGuire
  • Zachary by Louisa Masters
  • Empire of the Damned by Jay Kristoff
  • The Beloved by JR Ward
  • Space Oddesy by Catherynne M Valente
  • The Darkness Within Us by Tricia Levenseller
  • Celestial Monsters by Aiden Thomas
  • Somewhere Beyond the Sea by TJ Klune
  • Father Material by Alexis Hall
And I've also made a list of 10 goals for myself for 2024:
  • 200 books read
  • 50 books with POC main characters read
  • 20 series finished
  • 20 paper books read
  • 10 classic books read
  • 10 new-to-me authors read
  • 10 books featuring creature humanoids that are not vamps or weres read
  • 5 nonfiction books read
  • 3 DNF'd books finished
Also, I have to say, I really love the color of the Goodreads challenge this year.

So how did your reading go this year? Any big surprises or new favorite authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment