Saturday, June 13, 2020

Black Lives History Timeline

I know I haven't written here much, but the global response to what has happened this year have made coming forward to speak of Black history vital.

I am white, and I feel if white people are ever going to learn the mistakes of our past, this is no longer something we need to task Black people with. It's time for us to stand up and research the information and share it with other white people. We've put this burden of proof on Black people for too long. It's time we listen, do our own research, and take heed of what has happened.

this timeline I am sharing is in no way complete. In fact, I'm only going to do about one event per decade. Please keep in mind I'm being selective with the moments I am choosing here. I highly recommend you make your own if something you feel should be covered in this list is not. The more of these we get from white people, the more white people will actually begin to listen.

I'm a very amateur historian, but my brain often collects these moments in history and stores them for the future. Seeing so many white people shocked at the events of the past two weeks has made me aware of just how much an honest look into the past is needed. My research is mostly from the internet, which I will provide links to sources I looked at or used in my description. In some cases these events were also covered in a podcast, and I will post links to those as well if I can. In others, I remember the events from news at the time they happened, or from other media I consumed.

So I will be making a series of short posts that are my short version of Black History in the United States, starting with this year, and working our way back. I do not claim to be an expert on these matters, so if you have any corrections, additions, or suggestions for possible earlier cases to cover (I'm good through the 20th century, though the earlier I go, the less I have, so all suggestions are welcome), please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment