Sunday, May 1, 2022

April Reading Stats

 Another month gone, and since it's Sunday, I actually get to update my info the first of the month this time. Second best month so far this year. I managed a total of 21 books, which isn't bad at all. I even got to read two books on my new releases list, which was very exciting. 

My favorite books of the month:

Crowbones by Anne Bishop is the latest in the World of the Others, and a fabulous follow up to the first of the books about these characters, which is a lovely little community in the Fingerlakes region. Anne writes mystery so very well, and this world is so well created that it just works with every word of each story she tells. If you like Supernatural, I highly recommend this one, and all the rest. The Others are something entirely different from every supernatural story you have ever read, and yet so familiar that it takes almost no time to understand the implications each time.

Generally this month's books seem to have one of two themes: Fantasy or Supernatural. Crowbones is Supernatural. The three runners up, two are fantasy, and one is Supernatural. Even my oldest and youngest books of the month, one is fantasy, and one is supernatural. And yet, somehow, Supernatural didn't end up being one of my genres of the month. I guess it's more a sign of what I enjoy most.

Runners up for April were: 
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, and in specific, The Ship of the Dead, by Rick Riordan. This was the last book in his three-book Norse series, which I highly recommend. Next to Percy Jackson, it's my favorite of his series in this world so far. In particular for one character. A child of Loki who is strongly non-binary, and who ends up in a relationship with Magnus by the end of this book. I have never found a non-binary romance before, and this one just made me so happy, I feel like everyone should read the whole series, even if you never read any of Riordan's other God series.

Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko is a high fantasy dystopia about a world where the leader of the major country of the world has a close council who are chosen by and for him as a child, and they grow together like siblings, and can never be separated from each other. The characters are all characters of color, and the richness of this world is wonderful. I can't wait to see where the second book takes them. 

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriager, the first book of her YA series set in a finishing school that teaches young ladies the ins and outs of espionage in a world filled with Vampires and Werewolves. I've missed Gail's writing. She has a fabulous wonderfully whimsical tone that never fails to make me smile. And these characters are a great addition to this world. Definitely for fans of steampunk and supernatural.

The oldest book I read this moth was The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams, which was published October 25, 1988. It's a fascinating classic high fantasy world that's been on my radar for decades now. I'm curious to see where the story goes from here. Looking forward to finding out. The newest book I read this month was Lover Arisen by JR Ward, which came out on April 5th. It was not the best of the series, but it was still fun to see the guys again. I am dreading the next book, though. We'll see how that one goes.

Stats for the month:
Out of the 21 books I read this month, 16 were audio, four were E-Books, and one was physical. I finished two series, and DNFd one book that I just wasn't in the mood for. I may go back and try again, but I'm not sure I will. We shall see. Eight books were written by male authors, and 14 were written by females. The main characters were evenly split between male and female main characters, with thirteen each. Eight books had LGBT content, and 6 had non-white main characters. The audience split were one middle grade, nine YA, and 16 adult.

My top three genres this month were Romance, Fantasy, and Myth & Folklore. I can't recall if I've had Myth & Folklore on here before, but it is a favorite genre, so I'm not shocked it showed, especially this month. I have been considering expanding this to five genres, just for more variation, but if I do, that won't be until next year at the earliest.

My current and future reading:

Currently I am reading:
Nothing else on my Libby account right now aside from the Dark Prophecy at the moment.

I do have things I'm waiting to come in, though:
A fun selection. We'll see what I get and when. Of those, I'm not strongly looking forward to any of them, so we'll see what happens in the next month.

So what about you? What have you been reading this past moth? Anything good?

No comments:

Post a Comment