Saturday, April 2, 2022

March Reading Stats

Well, my reading definitely seems to be declining again. I only managed 15 books this month. Still a lot, but definitely not as much as I was doing last year. Not sure if it will continue to drop, but I suppose we will see.

Favorites for the month:

Aurora's End by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. This is the last of the Aurora Cycle. I enjoyed the whole darn thing. It felt like reading a YA version of Star Trek, or perhaps the new Battlestar Galactica. The characters were all fabulously unique, and the premise was strongly rooted in the best origins of Sci Fi stories of the past. If you enjoy YA and classic Sci Fi, I definitely recommend this series. I've definitely found a favorite pair of authors, so I will be digging deeply into the other books they have written, both together and separately.

Runners up for March were quite varied. First is Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender, about a young trans man who is struggling with peoples' reactions to his transition, and other people's views of him and who he is. A fabulous book that reminded me of the bad parts of being a teenager. It made me very glad not to be in high school any more. Still, a wonderful story about being who you truly are. Definitely worth a read. Then there's the Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan. If you enjoyed either book or movie (or both) of the Joy Luck Club, I highly recommend this one. About a young woman and her mother, and the secrets that people keep from each other to protect those they love. Wonderful story. And then there's March book 3, the last part of John Lewis's story about being in the Civil Rights movement of the 60s. The series is a must-read for those interested in reading about that time. I'm definitely looking forward to checking out Run, which is a sequel series about John Lewis's life.

The oldest book I read this month was Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey, which was published in July of 1968, a year before I was born. No, I've never read the Dragonriders books, so it was very well overdue. It's definitely an early book, but I'm looking forward to reading more. The newest book was Aurora's End, which was published November 9, 2021. See above for my short review. 

Stats for the month:

As I said, I read 15 books this month. Definitely less than before, but oddly, both ebook and physical books went up in number. I listened to nine books, read three ebooks, and four physical books--all graphic novels. I also DNF'd two books, and finished two series, both of which are listed above. The split of authors was pretty good. Seven male authors, and ten females. I'm amused because the split of characters is exactly opposite: ten male main characters, and seven female. Six of the books I read had LGBTQ+ major characters, and seven had non-white characters. The audience split was one middle grade, six young adult, and eight adult.

Like in February, my top three genres are Romance, Fantasy, and Sci Fi, with the last two switching place from February. No big change, not likely to change any time soon, I think. But I'm always interested to see what genres I get with the second and third genres of the month. That's where it changes the most.

My current and future reading:

    Currently I am reading:

    My Current Libby list to read:
    Fun mix there. Hopefully I will be able to get to them all. Crowbones is the one I'm looking forward to most. 

    And my next holds on my library wait list:
    Lover Arisen is out next week. Not sure how long I'll have to wait to get my hands on it, though.

    And that's everything. So what have you been reading? Anything you'd like to recommend or talk about?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment