Sunday, April 12, 2015

Recipe Experiment - Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes

So it's been a while since I posted, but I finally made a recipe that I've been considering for a while. Balsamic Chicken. It turned out great, so I thought I'd share what I ended up with.

I started on All Recipes, where I found two possibilities: Braised Balsamic Chicken and Roasted Balsamic Chicken with Baby Tomatoes. I liked the ingredients for the first, but I preferred the cooking style of the second, so I combined them.

I marinaded it overnight, and it was a little frozen still when I cooked it, but not horribly. Turned out sweet and juicy, and was perfect.

Here's the recipe I ended up using:

Balsamic Chicken and Tomatoes

1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegrette
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Garlic
-- (I like it strong. I think the original called for one clove, so adjust accordingly depending on how much you like.)
2 teaspoons Oregano
-- (again, I love Oregano. If you prefer one of the other basic Italian seasonings, double that instead. Or just do 3 teaspoons of the general Italian seasonings.)
2 teaspoons Italian Seasonings
2 Chicken breasts (the recipe calls for 4 to 6, so if you use less, use half or a third of the can instead)
1 14.5 oz can of Tomatoes (I used one with garlic and seasonings in, but any chunked tomatoes will do)

Mix together vinegrette, oil, and spices. Place chicken in a container and pour over the mix, then store it in the fridge for at least four hours. Overnight is better.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put chicken in a high-lipped pan. (I poured in the juice from the bag as well, and braised the chicken once during the cooking process.)

Cook chicken for 30 minutes, braising once if you wish.

Add canned tomatoes over the top of the chicken. (The can I used was definitely too much for two, but probably would have been just about right for three.)

Cook for 10 more minutes.

Let cool and serve.

I had it with potatoes, but I think it would also work with rice or similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment