Monday, October 18, 2010

New Recipe Experiment - Taco casserole

Been wanting to make tacos for a while now, and I had some tater tots in the freezer that needed to be used, so I thought I'd try something new.

1 lb ground hamburger
1 small tomato
1/2 pepper
Shredded cheese of your choice (as much as you want)
enough tater tots to cover the bottom of a casserole dish
taco seasoning
2 large handfuls corn chips, slightly crushed
Other possible ingredients:
sour cream (good at the top above the vegetables)
olives (put in with the vegetables)
guacamole (put in with the sour cream)
beans (put in with the beef)

Cook the tater tots according to the packaging. I sprinkled them with taco seasoning before cooking. While the tater tots cook, brown up the meat and cut the vegetables. Once everything's ready, layer the casserole.
tater tots
light layering of cheese
cheese (optional)
seasoning (optional)
Put into a pre-heated 350 degree oven and cook for 25 minutes.

The meat is a bit dry...I might put some tomato sauce in with the meat once it's cooked next time, to help bind it together. I also definitely didn't have enough cheese for what I wanted, but it was very edible, definitely.


  1. yum! Guacamole and sour cream would definitely help with the dry issue, though you're not a fan of that...I think this sounds delish!

  2. Yeah, but not enough. Unless you mixed the meat with them.

    It was pretty good.