Monday, October 18, 2010

New Recipe Experiment - Taco casserole

Been wanting to make tacos for a while now, and I had some tater tots in the freezer that needed to be used, so I thought I'd try something new.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground hamburger
1 small tomato
1/2 pepper
Shredded cheese of your choice (as much as you want)
enough tater tots to cover the bottom of a casserole dish
taco seasoning
2 large handfuls corn chips, slightly crushed
Other possible ingredients:
sour cream (good at the top above the vegetables)
olives (put in with the vegetables)
guacamole (put in with the sour cream)
beans (put in with the beef)

Instructions:
Cook the tater tots according to the packaging. I sprinkled them with taco seasoning before cooking. While the tater tots cook, brown up the meat and cut the vegetables. Once everything's ready, layer the casserole.
Layers:
tater tots
light layering of cheese
meat
vegetables
cheese (optional)
chips
cheese
seasoning (optional)
Put into a pre-heated 350 degree oven and cook for 25 minutes.

The meat is a bit dry...I might put some tomato sauce in with the meat once it's cooked next time, to help bind it together. I also definitely didn't have enough cheese for what I wanted, but it was very edible, definitely.

2 comments:

  1. yum! Guacamole and sour cream would definitely help with the dry issue, though you're not a fan of that...I think this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but not enough. Unless you mixed the meat with them.

    It was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete