Sunday, February 6, 2022

January Reading Stats

So the year's off to a great reading start. I read a bunch of really great books. I've started a new way of scoring my books so that it's a little more based on how the book felt to me, and how well I think it will last in my mind, and large percentage of what I read in January scored over 8 out of 10 on that scale, which makes me very happy.

So my favorite books of the month:

Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World, by Benjamin Alire Saenz. A beautiful follow-up to the first book, which picks up where the first book leaves off, with the two boys trying to figure out how to be in a relationship together. The voices in both of these books are wonderful and unique in a way I can't say I've read before. I'd definitely read more about them all if the author wrote more. If you've read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, I highly recommend this. If you haven't, I highly recommend them both. A wonderful coming of age story in a time and place that is uniquely suited to tell this story.

Runners up:

Wolfsong by TJ Klune, about a boy who befriends another boy, and the strange places their friendship leads him to. Very different from the other two Klune books I've read, but wonderful and sweet in turns, though this one is a lot darker than the other two.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, which I had listened to once right around the time the original movie came out, so it had been far too long, and there was so much I'd forgotten. If you haven't read it, but love the movies, I highly recommend it. Lots of surprises you won't suspect.

Ripper by Isabel Allende, about an online group that plays at trying to solve crimes--and find themselves enmeshed in a current crime that involves the group's leader's mother. Allende really tells a wonderful story, and this one is just as good as her other tales, so I highly recommend it if you enjoy a good murder mystery.

My oldest book of the month was another Asterix book. I'm slowly digging my way through the Asterix Omnibus collection, and this time, the first of the stories, Asterix and the Cauldron, was published originally October 31, 1968. 

The newest book I read was Where the Drowned Girls Go by Seanan McGuire, which was published January 4, 2022. It's the latest of the Wayward Children books, about a girl who found her way to a world where she became a mermaid. A story about fat acceptance, and dealing with trauma. Definitely worth a read.

Stats

All told for January, I finished 29 books. Of those, one finished off a series and one was a reread. I also had to DNF a book, but I'm hoping to get back to it, because it was audiobook issues, not lack of wanting to read it. My top genres were Romance, Fantasy, and Historical. 23 were audiobooks, six were eBooks, and two were physical books. 14 were written by men, and 16 by women. 20 had male main characters, and 14 had female main characters. 15 had LGBT content of a major sort, and 6 had non-white main characters. The Audience split was one middle grade, ten YA, and eleven adult. 

My current and future reading:

    Currently I am reading:

    I think if I don't manage to get much further into Roseblood by the end of the month, I will be DNFing that, as I'm not feeling pulled by it.

    My Current Libby list to read:
    My Library Hold list:
    Not much at the moment, but the way I'm choosing books at the moment leads me to not put as many books on hold, so that probably won't change as much this year.

    That's all for now. What has everyone else been reading? Any new favorite books?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment