Saturday, January 1, 2022

December Book Wrapup

The year is over. This will be two posts, one about my December reading, and one about the year as a whole, but overall, I am very happy with my reading for the past year, and very much looking forward to more reading to come!

My favorite book of the month was The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwreck by Mackenzi Lee. This is the final book of the Monague Siblings Trilogy, focusing on the youngest of the siblings, Adrian, who doesn't even realize he has two elder siblings because they've been disowned by their father, a peer of the realm, who doesn't see that having a gay son or a daughter who wants to learn, as being good. Adrian's not much different from his siblings, as he sees his father's work with work houses for the poor as horrible, and wants to change it. His mother's recent death at a health spa has left Adrian a little uncertain. Until he gets his hands on a touchstone his mother had always kept on her person at all times--until the day she died. He sets out to find out why she kept the piece of a broken nautical scope, and ends up learning he is not the only child he always believed he was. Fabulous end to a wonderful series. I definitely recommend. This one is also tied for one of my newest of the month.

And my three runners up are next. The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, the last of the Mistborn Trilogy. A great end, if hard. Definitely a series worth reading if you like fantasy. The next runner up was Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs, the fourth book in the Mercy Thompson series.Between Mercy, Harry Dresden, and Anita Blake, I've been getting a lot of great urban fantasy and supernatural this year. I look forward to even more in the coming year. The final book of three is Vampire with Benefits, about a Vampire and a Beaver shifter who get paired up by a magical dating service. Sort of. Well, okay, they were there to marry two others, but those ended up married to each other in the first book, so this book is about what these two decide to do instead. A lot of silly fun with a vampire who knew Rudolph Valentino when he was an Actor in his first life. All fun books, and well worth reading if you like fantasy or supernatural stories.

My oldest book of the month was Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs, book number 3 in the Mercy Thompson series, which was published January 2, 2008. My newest book of the month was actually a tie. Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwreck by Mackenzi Lee, and also The Wolf by JR Ward, which was the second book in a side-series of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Both came out November 16, 2021. Both were fun, but Nobleman is better.

December is always a crazy month for me, but this year went relatively smoothly, so I managed to get in lots of reading. I finished a total of 28 books in December. I had to DNF one book, but I will be picking it up again, as I got my hands on a copy. I also managed to finish another five series for the year. More on that in my year end wrapup. My top three genres were Romance, Historical, and Fantasy. I listened to 25 audiobooks, finished two eBooks, and finished one physical book. Nine of the books were written by male authors, and 19 by female authors. 21 had male main characters, and 15 had female main characters. 17 had LGBT content, and six had non-white central characters. The audience division of the books I read were eight YA, three New Adult, and 17 Adult.

My current and future reading:

    Currently I am reading:

    I'm currently out of books on Libby to read, and I have a new way of picking books, so that will be lower this year. We'll see what happens.

    My Library Hold list next 5:
    And that's it for December! Stay tuned for my 2021 wrapup! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment