Tuesday, June 1, 2021

May Reading Update

 Another month has passed, and another great round of books read. It's been a really great reading month with a ton of books I've really enjoyed. And this month has already started off on a great note, as I discovered the book I was listening to this morning was narrated by a favorite actor. It's only the third book series I've listened to with a famous actor narrating the story, but it definitely makes me happy.

Once again, my numbers went up, from thirty-seven books read in April to thirty-nine in May. Which means I could well make it to forty this month. I suppose we shall see. I finished three more series, but started a ton of new series, because it's getting harder to find the books I want in audiobook form now. I did DNF one book. Not a badly written book, but just far too violent for me, and gave the series far too much of my time. So I won't be reading more of that one. Of the books I read, one was a graphic novel, seven were EBooks, and thirty-one were audio. The ratio of male to female authors was much different. I don't go out of my way to search for female authors, but I do tend to gravitate towards them, so generally it's a much larger percentage of my reading. But this month, I read fifteen male authors to twenty-five female authors. I know what contributed to that shift, because there was a series I read by a guy and so I plowed through several of his books in April. The mix of characters was off as well. Usually it's forty/sixty at worst, but this one's much broader. I read thirty male main characters, and only eighteen female characters. But given that it's usually much closer, I guess one month out of five isn't too bad. I also read 24 LGBT+ books, and 11 books with major characters who were not white. I'm hoping to get my LGBT+ number close to my total books read this month. We'll see if I can do it. The audience for my books this month were ten YA, one New Adult, and twenty-seven Adult. My three major genres read this month changed. Usually Fantasy is in the top two, but this month, my top three were Romance, Historical, and Myth & Folklore. Still two major genres I read lots from, but an interesting shift.

I read three books this month that were published last year, so this one was a dead heat, but the newest book I finished was the Emperor's Wolves by Michell Segara, which was published October 13th. It's a nice prequel to the Chronicles of Elantra, so it was fun to get back into that world, and learn more about the Wolves. Definitely worth a read if you have read the series. The oldest book I read was Day by Elie Weisel, which was first published in 1961. The books in this trilogy are all quite dark, but definitely important snapshots of time during the war and after it as someone who survived the war in a camp. The first is autobiographical, but the other two are more thought experiments. I will say they're not for everyone. If dark subject matter bothers you, you might want to give them a pass. But if you want to see the life of a man who survived what the Nazis did to his people, you should definitely give them a read.

So last month, I listened to much of the Grishaverse, and this month I finished all but one of the novels. So of course, one of them was my top book for the month. Of course, I mean Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, which is the sequel to Six of Crows. I have to say that Jesper is lovely, and with this book, I definitely fell for Wylan as well. But I love all the central characters in this pair of books. I can't wait to see what their next adventure will be. My runners up for favorite book this month: Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas, which is definitely my favorite of the Throne of Glass series so far; Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling, which was much darker than the first, but I love the central pair of characters, and I can't wait to see where the next book takes them; and Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey, which is the final book of her Kushiel Universe. I wish there were more, but it was an excellent conclusion.

And my Currently Reading List:

  • Lords of the Underworld Volume 3 by Gena Showalter (73%)
  • Saga 5 by Brian K Vaughn (no page numbers, so I don't know how far I am, but not far in)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin #10) by Jordan L Hawk (6%)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld #3) by Jordan L Hawk (66%)
  • Mirage (Mirage #1) by Somaiya Daud (I haven't actually started this one, but I may before the night is over, and if not, first thing tomorrow at work)
My Libby is also loaded up with lots of books so that I don't stop to try to find another while I'm working:
And my Library List next 5:
Lots of great books I'm looking forward to. I'm a little worried about reading the next Dresden book. It's great writing, but Harry's depression really drags me down, and not sure I can handle that right now, so we shall see. It's why it's been so long since I read the previous, which was years ago.

So what have you all been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment