Friday, November 12, 2010

Genealogy update for the week

Not a whole lot going on this week, Genealogy-wise.

I made an earlier post this week on my great-uncle, my grandfather's brother, for Veteran's Day. And I've got my usual post for tomorrow, but the one after it will be out of the order I usually do because of a new discovery I found for my paternal grandmother's side recently.

While I was writing it up, I realized I don't have his birthdate, so I did a search for his birth record, but nothing yet, though I did find a few copies of records for other people on that branch of the family.

Nothing for Follow Friday today, but Randy Seaver's challenge for last week was tempting, so I decided to play today:
1) If you found a bottle on the shore, and it had a genea-genie in it, and rubbed it and you had ONE WISH to make about your genealogy and family history research, what would it be?

2) Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a comment or note on Facebook.


For me? This has changed a number of times over the years, but right now, my answer would have to be meeting my paternal grandfather's parents to be able to interview them about their lives so that I could get more information about where our family came from.

For Alex, I'd want to clarify his names. He went through a number in his life, both first and surname, and I'm not even certain what his birthname truly was. And I'd also want to ask about his family's time in England, and if he was the only one who went to Camp Douglas, or if others in the family went as well.

For Dora, I'd want to know more about her sister Minna, and whether she had other siblings, and I'd want to know more about her family, and where she grew up.

I've felt the loss of both of them very strongly lately. Alex died shortly before my father was born, and Dora months before I was. And because this is the side of my family that I have the least on, it's also the side I have the most questions about. I'd love to fill that gap.

I know I was lucky in the fact that I had not only all my grandparents, but three of my great-grandparents who were still around when I was born, but I still wish I could have met more of my great-grandparents. Especially now as I am the family genealogist.

Calendar for the week:
Unfortunately, all deaths this week. :S
Lauge Nilsen died November 8, 1661
Mathias Frandsen died November 9, 1827 in Vejle, Denmark
Mathias Frandson (his grandfather) died November 13, 1796 in Vejle, Denmark

No comments:

Post a Comment